Our founders are aware of the impact our operations and business activities can have on the environment and on the lives of others. We are constantly striving for new ways to keep our carbon footprint to a minimum and we aim to sea freight all our manufactured garments from abroad to reduce the effects on the environment. At Serious Stuff we encourage the use of ethical and environmentally friendly technologies, systems, products and management techniques.
Serious Stuff commits to:
UPHOLDING LABOUR STANDARDS AT SERIOUS STUFF AND ALL MANUFACTURERS WE WORK WITH
All employees will have free choice in employment
- There is no forced, bonded or involuntary prison labour at Serious Stuff.
- Workers are not required to lodge deposits or their identity papers with the employer, and are free to leave their employer after reasonable notice..
Working conditions are always safe and hygienic
- A safe and hygienic working environment shall be provided, taking into account the prevailing knowledge of the sportswear industry and our specific hazards. Adequate steps shall be taken to prevent accidents and injury to health arising out of, associated with, or occurring in the course of work, by minimising, so far as is reasonably practicable, the causes of hazards inherent in the working environment.
- Access to clean toilet facilities and clean water, and, if appropriate, sanitary facilities for food storage shall be provided.
- Serious Stuff will not produce a cheaper product at the expense of someone else’s livelihood.
Living wages are paid
- Wages and benefits paid for a standard working week meet, at a minimum, national legal standards or industry benchmarks, whichever is higher. In any event wages should always be high enough to meet basic needs and to provide some discretionary income.
- All workers shall be provided with written and understandable information about their employment conditions in respect to wages before they enter employment, and about the particulars of their wages for the pay period concerned each time that they are paid.
- Deductions from wages as a disciplinary measure shall not be permitted, nor shall any deductions from wages not provided for by national law be permitted without the express and informed permission of the worker concerned. All disciplinary measures should be recorded.
Working hours are not excessive
- Working hours comply with national laws and benchmark industry standards, whichever affords greater protection.
No discrimination is practised
- There is no discrimination in hiring, compensation, access to training, promotion, termination or retirement based on race, caste, national origin, religion, age, disability, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, union membership or political affiliation.
No harsh or inhumane treatment is allowed
- Physical abuse or discipline, the threat of physical abuse, sexual or other harassment and verbal abuse or other forms of intimidation shall be prohibited.
- Serious Stuff will aim to achieve continual improvement in these workplace and employment standards with its manufacturers. Suppliers should aim to exceed these defined standards, which are intended as the minimum acceptable.
We are currently undergoing a transition with our transportation of clothing from factory to client, from air to sea. This is in order to reduce our carbon emissions which is undoubtedly effective as sea freight emits 15g of CO2 per tonne of cargo moved per km, whilst air freight emits 545g per tonne moved per km. However we are not removing the option to use air transport for time sensitive orders, however there is an additional cost of £2 per item sent by air to cover the additional cost of air freight.